Science Atlas

How We Know What We Know
Institutions

Cavendish Laboratory

Citation Formats

General Reference

APA Style

BibTeX

The Cavendish Laboratory is the physics department of the University of Cambridge, opened in 1874 under James Clerk Maxwell as the university's first Cavendish Professor of Experimental Physics. Its construction was funded by a 6,300 pound gift from William Cavendish, 7th Duke of Devonshire, Chancellor of the University, and it was named for his ancestor Henry Cavendish, an earlier physicist and chemist unconnected to the laboratory itself. Under Ernest Rutherford, its director from 1919 to 1937, it became the leading centre in the world for the study of atomic structure; James Watson and Francis Crick worked out the structure of DNA there in 1953. As of the early 2020s, more than thirty scientists who worked at the Cavendish had won Nobel Prizes.

Facts
Founded Year
1874 1
Founder
James Clerk Maxwell, funded by William Cavendish, 7th Duke of Devonshire 1
Seat
Cambridge, United Kingdom 1
Cross-Tradition Connections

Has Member

Ernest Rutherford, Scientists

Cavendish Professor and director of the laboratory, 1919 to 1937.

Francis Crick, Scientists

Worked out the structure of DNA with Watson there in 1953.

James Watson, Scientists

Worked out the structure of DNA with Crick there in 1953.

Sources
1. Cavendish Laboratory (Britannica)
Encyclopaedia Britannica
Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first to share a thought.
Reader Challenges (0 open reader challenges)
No disputes yet. Spotted an error or a better source? Open the first one.

View At A Past Year

The atlas records no dated fact of its own for this entry, so there is no other year to choose.